» Keep Your Pool Heater Running Efficiently: 5 Ways
Keep Your Pool Heater Running Efficiently: 5 Ways
A heated pool can be a great escape, especially with all the time we’ve spent indoors so far this year. But if you have owned a propane pool heater for a while, you know it can be an expensive luxury if you don’t take steps to keep it operating as efficiently as possible.
Five things you should do to keep your pool heater running at peak efficiency this summer:
- Remember that your pool is not a hot tub. A few degrees can make a huge difference with your propane bills: the difference between keeping your pool water at 78 vs. 82 degrees in an average-sized Connecticut pool, for example, will translate to more than $1,000 in energy bills over the course of a summer. Aim for a warm but reasonable 78 degrees for the best balance of comfort and cost.
- Block the wind. Almost three quarters your pool’s heat loss takes place at the water’s surface, and a steady wind there will make matters worse; do what you can to block it. A low poolside fence or hedge can ease the breeze.
- Cover your pool at night. According to the Department of Energy (DOE), covering your pool at night will reduce the need for fill-in water by 30 to 50 percent and reduce chemical use by 35-60 percent – two big reasons to put a lid on it.
- Not using it? Shut it down. If you don’t plan to use the pool for several days, cover it and drop the thermostat to 70 degrees; turn it back on a half a day or so before you want to use the pool again. Going away for longer? Shut your pool heater off altogether.
- Get your pool heater professionally serviced. An annual pool heater inspection and tune-up will usually pay for itself in efficiency improvements alone – not to mention the long-term benefits of extending the life of your equipment and reducing the need for pool heater repairs.
Don’t pay more than you should to keep your pool warm and ready for a dip – contact Hocon today to schedule a maintenance visit for your propane pool heater.
Don’t have a propane pool heater yet? We can help there, too, with propane pool heater installations in CT for every sized pool and budget. Contact us today to get a FREE, no-obligation estimate on a propane heater for your pool or spa.