Why Should You Choose Autogas For Your Fleet?
For years, Propane Autogas – also known as liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) or propane – has been one of the best-kept secrets in vehicle fuel in North America.
But smart fleet managers are beginning to discover the Propane Autogas advantage: from touring buses at Acadia National Park to Boston Public Schools, Yale University shuttles, the Town of Greenwich DPW fleet, and more. Recently, the Connecticut DOT has even gotten into the act, agreeing to upgrade some of their emergency vehicles for the upcoming winter season.
Why consider making the switch to Propane Autogas for your fleet? Consider these 8 benefits.
- It costs less than gasoline – Propane Autogas has historically cost less – 20 to 50 percent less – than gasoline per gallon. Even when factor in the cost to convert your vehicles, you’ll still come out ahead in just a few years – especially when you factor in government incentives.
- It’s a step up from electric – Not only to propane vehicles cost less up front than their electric counterparts ($100K vs. $300K for a propane school bus compared to an electric model, for example), but with renewable propane coming soon, they’ll even outperform electric vehicles in terms of their carbon footprint!
- You’ll spend less on maintenance – Because propane burns cleaner than gasoline, your fleet will run longer and spend less time in the shop.
- It’s available now – Propane is already produced in natural gas and oil refineries, so no new technology or capital investment is needed for the industry. All you need is a fueling station and you’re good to go.
- It’s reliable – Propane Autogas may not be well known in the US, but it’s the third most common vehicle fuel in the world. Millions of cars worldwide have been using Propane Autogas for decades, including 23 million that are on the road right now.
- It’s safe – Propane tanks are 20 times as puncture-resistant as gasoline tanks and require no ongoing testing as long as they hold product and have an identifiable data plate (unlike CNG tanks, which require ongoing testing). Propane Autogas vehicles are tested extensively to perform safely in both normal driving and crash situations, with specially designed pressure relief devices installed in every tank to allow the safe release of pressure should it rise above preset levels.
- It’s greener than gasoline – Burning propane auto gas produces 60 percent less carbon monoxide, 20 percent less nitrogen oxides, up to 24 percent less greenhouse gas and 99% fewer particulate emissions. Compared to gasoline or diesel, choosing Propane Autogas reduces your carbon footprint.
- It’s made in the USA – More than 90 percent of the US supply of Propane Autogas is produced domestically – so every gallon you buy reduces our country’s dependence on foreign oil.
Did you know that Hocon has an Propane Autogas dispensary and re-fueling station in Hartford? Besides servicing cars and trucks with gasoline and diesel fuel, the site includes EV stations, a hydrogen fueling station, two quick fueling EV stations for non-Tesla vehicles and a Propane Autogas fueling station.
It’s an exciting time for Hocon – and for fleet managers! To learn more about Propane Autogas, see our new brochure – or contact us to talk more about Propane Autogas fleet conversions in CT!