» Choosing a Propane Patio Heater for Your Outdoor Space
Choosing a Propane Patio Heater for Your Outdoor Space
With all the heat we’ve been experiencing here in Connecticut this summer, it’s easy to forget that cool evenings could be heading our way less than a month from now.
But that doesn’t mean our outdoor entertainment has to stop.
If you want your patio parties to continue into the fall, you’re probably going to need an assist from a propane patio heater. The question is how do you choose one?
Here are five things to consider when shopping for a propane patio heater:
- Size / power / heating area – Before you shop for a patio heater, measure the diameter of the space you want to heat. In general, more power means a longer “throw” of heat – but some designs are particularly good at radiating heat from a distance. Make sure you have enough coverage to keep your chosen area warm and comfortable.
- Mounting type – Propane patio heaters can wall-mounted, tabletop or freestanding. A typical tabletop heater will stand about four feet high; a freestanding propane patio heater can be twice that tall. Besides the obvious difference in height, one key difference between a tabletop and a freestanding heater is that freestanding units often use a refillable or replaceable cylinder, while tabletop models usually use a disposable propane canister.
- Safety features – Most of today’s tabletop and freestanding patio heaters are equipped with an anti-tip feature, which automatically shuts off the heater if it is push off kilter. Other safety features to look for include an oxygen depletion sensor (ODS) and an overfill protection device (OPD).
- Efficiency – Look for a propane patio heater’s AFUE (annual fuel utilization efficiency) rating; a higher AFUE rating will mean lower bills for you.
- Aesthetics – Many styles of patio heater are available – from modern stainless models to classic copper and enamel painted options. Other considerations include the design or shape of the unit.
Nothing heats like propane – even outdoors! If you need propane refills for your propane patio heater, Hocon can help. Contact us today for details!