Topar Fuel, a Hocon company, has moved. The new address is: 33 Rockland Road, Norwalk, CT 06854. The phone number is staying the same: (203) 367-5933
Choosing the Right Patio Heater
It may not feel like it, but ready or not, spring is officially here – and soon it will be time to kick off a new season of outdoor living at your Connecticut home.
If you want that kickoff day to come a few weeks sooner, one way to do it is to invest in a propane patio heater. The question is, how do you shop for one?
Here’s a little help with some of the things you’ll need to consider:
- Size and heating diameter – Keeping your space (and your guests!) warm and cozy is the goal, so the diameter of heat your patio heater can throw is probably its most important feature. Some 40,000 BTU freestanding patio heaters can warm spaces up to 20 feet from the unit!
- Mounting style – Patio heaters come in wall-mounted, tabletop and freestanding styles – the latter are the largest (about 7 to 9 feet high on average) and typically the most powerful. Freestanding patio heaters use replaceable cylinders, while tabletop models require disposable canisters – a possible consideration when it comes time to make your choice.
- Efficiency – All gas-powered patio heaters are assigned an AFUE (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency) rating, so you can easily compare two units with similar output. Look for an AFUE rating in the manufacturer’s specifications, or on the yellow tag that comes with the unit.
- Safety features – Most modern patio heaters contain an oxygen depletion sensor (ODS) and an overfill protection device (OPD); refer to manufacturer’s specifications to see if the model you want does. Another important safety feature on freestanding patio heaters is an anti-tip shut-off, which automatically closes the heater’s burner when it’s pushed beyond a certain angle.
- Look and feel – Patio heaters are available in styles ranging from modern stainless and brushed copper to painted enamel. They’re available in a variety of shapes, too – from sculptural to umbrella-like configurations.
Kick off your outdoor living season early with a propane patio heater from Hocon Gas – contact us today to learn more!