How To Remove A Propane Barbecue Cylinder Safely
Summer is prime season for outdoor cookouts in Connecticut – we hope you’re doing a lot of them on your propane gas grill! If you are, you will eventually have to exchange or refill your propane cylinder – just make sure you do it safely.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to safely removing and replacing the propane gas cylinder on your propane gas grill:
- Make sure your propane grill is turned off.
- Find your propane cylinder; it may be behind a door (depending on your grill model).
- There are two basic parts of your grill that you will need to be concerned with: the propane cylinder’s tank valve and the pressure regulator from the barbecue (see illustration).
- Before you disconnect the pressure regulator, close the tank valve (turn it all the way to the right, or clockwise).
- Once the valve is shut, twist off the threaded pressure regulator.
- Remove the tank (on some propane grills, the tank is attached to the barbecue by a restraining bolt or screw; simply loosen this to remove the tank).
- When transporting your tank to and from the refill or exchange center, place it upright on the floor of your vehicle, not in the trunk, and take it directly to the location. Do not leave the tank unaccompanied in the vehicle, especially in the summer.
- Reverse the process to reconnect your propane tank, making sure the tank valve is closed when reconnecting the pressure regulator. Replacement propane cylinders often come with a plastic safety cap over the tank valve assembly – simply remove this.
Be sure to check your tank for leaks after reconnecting your tank – here’s a video from the National Fire Protection Association with some tips for how to do that.
Safe BBQ Grill Tank Delivery Service in CT from Hocon
Don’t want to go to the store to swap out a BBQ grill tank? We don’t blame you. In response to COVID-19, we are now offering tank delivery service to your home or business.
Here’s how it works:
- You leave your empty tank by the garage or front of your home
- We swap your tank with one that holds a full 20 lbs. of propane
- You pay $48.88 for one tank delivered; each additional tank swapped at the same time is only $24.88 more
- You can purchase an additional full tank for only $49.95
- The more notice you can give us the better
Fill out our online request form to schedule your propane cylinder refill, or contact your local Hocon location for further details:
Danbury (203) 744-4000
Guilford (203) 458-2790
Norwalk (203) 853-1500
Suffield (860) 254-5862
Torrington (860) 626-0900
Waterbury (203) 754-7601
That’s it – happy grilling!