Winter Energy Efficiency: 10 Simple Tips
Winter has officially arrived here in Connecticut, and with it will inevitably come higher heating bills.
Want to keep those propane and heating oil bills as low as possible? Here are 10 of the best ways to do it:
- Weatherize – Keep warm air in and cold air out by caulking and weather-stripping doors and windows.
- Install a programmable thermostat – A programmable thermostat could pay for itself in the course of a single year in the form of lower heating and cooling bills (see #3). Today’s smart thermostats are easier than ever to use and can be controlled from your smart phone.
- Use your programmable thermostat – When you’re home, aim for a temperature of 68° for the best balance of efficiency and comfort; when you’re asleep or away from home, turn thermostat back eight to ten degrees for eight hours to save about 10 percent a year on your heating (and cooling) bills – just don’t do it on extremely cold nights when your pipes are susceptible to freezing.
- Adjust your water temperature – Turn down the temperature of your water heater thermostat. Many are factory set for 130° degrees or more; 120° degrees is plenty.
- Service your heating equipment – Have your propane- or oil-fired furnace or boiler professionally inspected and serviced.
- Check furnace filters regularly – Keep an eye on your HVAC filters very month during the height of heating season, changing them when necessary.
- Close your fireplace damper – An open fireplace damper is just like an open window when a fire isn’t burning; be sure to keep it closed unless the fireplace is in use.
- Watch for heat blockages – Be on the lookout for objects that block vents, baseboard heaters and radiators (furniture, curtains, etc.).
- Use free solar heat – Open curtains and shades to let in warmth from the sun, then close them at night to retain that heat.
- Reverse your ceiling fans – Most ceiling fans are reversible; you want to set yours so it pushes rising warm air back into the room rather than drawing it up and away from your living space.
Bonus Tip #11: Buy your fuel from Hocon. You’ll get a guaranteed lower price on heating oil in CT and a great price on your propane, too – along with the top heating system service in Connecticut. Contact us today to become an Hocon customer!