Vent-Free Or Vented Gas Logs: Which Should I Choose?
You may have already made the decision to add a convenient, realistic, and beautiful propane gas log set to your existing masonry fireplace (good choice!), but do you understand the differences between vented and vent-free options?
Each has its pros and cons, and the best option for you depends on your needs and home. Here’s a quick summary for each propane gas log option:
Vent-free propane gas log sets
- These units are actually considered heaters and have similar features, including a safety shut-off, room oxygen sensor, and nearly 100 percent heating efficiency.
- The flame on a vent-free log set is reduced so it burns less fuel and emits less exhaust to meet safety standards; a typical vent-free log set is rated at about 40,000 BTUs / hour.
- Vent-free log sets are great if you want an efficient heat source for a small- to medium-sized fireplace, or if you want a back-up heat source during power outages.
Vented propane gas log sets
- Vented gas logs are designed to produce a more substantial fire, but a larger fire comes at a cost of fuel: vented fire log sets burn about twice as much fuel as a vent-free log set – about 80,000 to 90,000 BTUs/hour.
- Vented gas log sets are also less efficient, since some of the heat that’s produced escapes through the chimney.
- Vented log sets are great if you have a large fireplace, want a blazing fire and can live with lower efficiency and higher fuel bills.
Not sure which propane gas log set is right for your fireplace? Contact the propane hearth experts at Hocon today and let’s talk about it.
And if you’ve always dreamed of having a fireplace but have settled for a blank wall instead, guess what – a propane fireplace may be more affordable than you think, especially when you consider our 20 percent off propane hearth installation special!
Contact Hocon today for a FREE estimate and let’s get to work on your dream hearth. If you already have a propane fireplace, fireplace insert, or log set, keep it running safely and efficiently with a fall hearth tune-up from the pros at Hocon – now available at a 20 percent savings!