Click here to take our survey

What to Know about CO

thumb image

Any fuel-burning equipment that operates in your Connecticut home produces at least some amount of carbon monoxide (CO). In very small amounts, CO is relatively harmless – but as it builds, CO can become an increasingly dangerous threat to the health and safety of your family.

Don’t know much about CO? Here are the basics.

  1. What is carbon monoxide? Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless gas produced when heating oil, gasoline, coal, wood, charcoal, kerosene, propane, or natural gas are burned.
  2. What causes a buildup of CO? CO buildup usually occurs for two reasons: poor ventilation or damaged / improperly maintained equipment.
  3. What kind of risk does carbon monoxide pose to homeowners? In high amounts, carbon monoxide can cause CO poisoning, which can lead to illness, unconsciousness, or even death.
  4. What are the symptoms of CO poisoning? Symptoms of CO poisoning vary depend on the amount of exposure to the gas.
    • In mild cases, symptoms include nausea, fatigue, headaches and dizziness
    • In moderate cases, symptoms include severe headaches, drowsiness, and disorientation
    • In extreme cases, symptoms include unconsciousness, convulsions, and death
  5. What should I do if I experience CO poisoning symptoms? If you experience CO poisoning symptoms,
    • Get fresh air immediately; open windows and leave the house
    • Call 911 or your local fire department
    • Report your symptoms to your doctor
    • Have your equipment inspected and serviced before using it again
  6. What should I do if the CO alarm sounds?
    • Leave the house immediately
    • Call 911 or your local fire department
    • DO NOT reenter the premises until getting the OK from authorities
    • Have your equipment inspected and serviced before using it again
  7. How can I avoid having CO problems in my home?
    1. Maintain all fuel-burning appliances every year
    2. Repair faulty combustion equipment immediately
    3. Upgrade equipment that has become unsafe due to age or poor maintenance
    4. Install CO detectors throughout your home, following manufacturer’s instructions for placement, testing and maintenance
    5. Learn the signs and symptoms of CO poisoning, and teach your family what to do if they experience them.

Stay safe all year long in your Connecticut home! Contact Hocon Gas today to learn more about great equipment upgrades and maintenance services for all your home comfort systems.